Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oh Hypocrite Me

While I was reading Matthew 24 tonight, I was struck with how like the Pharisees and Saducees I am! How often do I want to set myself up in a place of honor and make the exterior clean, but not the interior! I was greatly convicted that I need to be the humble servant. I need to clean the inside, not just the outside! As I was asking the Lord for forgiveness for my prideful, hypocritcal attitude, I was blown away by the reality that He doesn't have to forgive me at all, but yet, in His grace, He chooses too. I am so thankful! I then read this Valley of Vision prayer that seemed to fit perfectly, so I wanted to share it with you.
God and Myself
"Lord God Almighty, thy understanding is unsearchable and infinite, thy arm cannot be stayed, thy agency extends through limitless space, all works hang on thy care, with thee time is a present now. Holy is thy wisdom, power, mercy, ways, works. How can I stand before thee with my numberless and aggravated offences? I have often loved darkeness, observed lying vanities, forsaken thy given mercies, trampled underfoot thy beloved Son, mocked thy providences, flattered thee with my lips, broken thy covenant. It is of thy compassion that I am not consumed. Lead me to repentance, and save me from despair; Let me come to thee renouncing, condemning, leathing myself, but hoping in the grace that flows even to the chief of sinners. At the cross may I contemplate the evil of sin, and abhor it, look on him whom I pierced, as one slain for me, and by me. May I never despise his death by fearing its efficacy for my salvation. And whatever cross I am required to bear, let me see him carrying a heavier. Teach me in health to think of sickness, in the brightest hours to be ready for darkness; in life prepare me for death, thus may my soul rest in thee, O immortal and transcendent one, revealed as thou art in the Person and work of thy Son, the Friend of sinners."

1 comment:

Ryan said...

What a blessing to have a Savior so forgiving and a wife that so loves Him!