Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Why?"

Rylie says many interesting things, but lately she has taken to saying, "why?" after everything we say. I have to confess that this is driving me crazy and I have had to apologize for my impatience with it several times over the past few days. I am glad that she is curious (when I told her she was curious she got very offended and said, "I'm not a curious, I'm a girl!") and I am glad she has a thirst for knowledge, especially Biblical knowledge.
Every night before bed, she and Daddy have been reading her new Bible (see Ryan's post tomorrow morning). She has been devouring and retaining these Bible stories and several times during the day she will ask me about various parts of the stories. I have been learning how to summarize a Biblical account in a way that an almost three year old would understand. It has been a great exercise for me to realize the main point of these stories (which I keep reminding her are really true events that happened in history, not a pretend story).
As I was doing my own Bible reading this evening I came across the verse in Genesis 15 that says that Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness. The thought struck me that this is one of the main things I've been telling Rylie. All these different Bible characters believed what God told them and obeyed Him and as a result were blessed by God in various ways (protection, provision, etc.) It was a great reminder to me that sometimes I get caught up in all the details (there is great value in studying the details, don't get me wrong), and I forget some of the basic lessons that are to be learned. To put it simply, we need to believe what God tells us, then obey Him and we will be blessed by this.
Thank you Rylie for your "whys" that have been teaching me!

1 comment:

Ryan and Stephanie said...

Are you guys reading through the Bible in a year? I am too. I'm using the calendar provided in my study Bible. You read a small passage from the NT in the morning and a larger passage from the OT in the evening. I've been reading both at night since that's when I'm alone and quiet.
I'll post my new year's list tomorrow. Until then, blessings!