Friday, January 4, 2008

"Immediately"

As I was doing my Bible reading and journaling tonight, I was struck by a verse in Matthew 4 that says that Jesus walked by James and John while they were with their father fishing. He called out to them to follow Him and they "immediately" followed Him. I don't know if they had heard about Jesus previous to this or if this was their first interaction with Him. It doesn't really matter though, what matters is their immediate faith and obedience. They gave up their occupation (which may have been a long standing family "business"), and their identity that came along with that. They also left their father there, to follow Jesus. I wonder what their father thought, was he mad, confused, proud?
I was struck with the conviction that I don't always immediately obey or trust God. I need to have that unshakable confidence that whatever He asks of me is trustworthy and for my supreme good and for His glory. I need to have that closeness of relationship with Him that enables me to immediately recognize when He is asking me to do something and then immediately responding in faith. I so appreciate James and John's response that can teach so many lessons this many years into the future!

No comments: