Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fires and Broken Noses?

Last night we had some excitement in our house. Ryan was doing some marriage counseling with a couple in our Dining Room, so Rylie and I were hanging out in the kitchen. I put the rice on the stove to cook and decided to get some dishes done. Rylie was playing with her magnetic letters on the fridge (she found almost all of the letters that spell her name!), when she, very calmly says, "Mom, there's a fire." I turned around and there was a flame a foot high! Remember when I told you my house was all clean now? Well, I forgot the details, like cleaning the tops of the burners. I had spilled something that apparently was flammable. I grabbed a big cup of water and doused the flames. This shot ash and smoke throughout the room. I had to open the back door and shoo the smoke out while Rylie and I froze. She stayed so calm through it all, and Ryan the other couple didn't have a clue anything was happening! (I thought there was a Spiritual analogy in there somewhere about how if we don't pay attention and clean up the small sins in our life, then eventually something will spark them into a big flame that demands attention.)
After our dinner (which didn't burn at all), Ryan and Rylie were wrestling in the bedroom while I was doing dishes (do you see a pattern here?) when I heard Rylie's "hurt cry". She had fallen head first into Ryan's head. She skinned her forehead and her nose was red and swollen. We thought at first that it might be broken! We put ice on it right away and gave her lots of snuggles. She thought she'd better snuggle with Daddy and watch Diego and that worked. Halfway through Diego, her nose wasn't even hurting anymore. It's still a little red, but not swollen anymore.
So, the moral of the story is: bad things happen when I wash dishes, so I better not do them anymore! Don't you all agree?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great moral--I wholeheartedly agree!
--Bren

Ryan and Stephanie said...

Rylie's like me. I see a fire and just say, "Hey, there's a fire." Once at Thanksgiving I was ironing with an old 1950's iron and the cord broke off of the plug. The plug started shooting out purple fire and I said to Kim, who was cooking, "We're gonna have a fire." My brother, John, yells (before he was a firefighter) "grab the cord and pull it out!" I'm like, no way! I'll get electricuted! Do you know who had the most sense out of all of us? Bubba, who was 5 at the time went to the pantry and calmly handed me the fire extinguisher.
In the end the shooting sparks stopped themselves, but it was all pretty comical when it was all over.