Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

Thursday Thoughts will be a little shorter this week because we don't have Flock Group tonight. Usually, I want to share things I've learned from our Flock Group study, but tonight in lieu of Flock Group, we have an all church potluck and roller skating event. It should be a lot of fun. Hopefully, I'll have pictures to post later on tonight. (That is if I don't have a broken leg, they shouldn't allow clumsy people to have wheels on their feet!)
My first thought was from Women's Bible study this morning. As I mentioned in my previous post, my Mom (who normally teaches) is with my Grandma today, so I taught Bible study. My Mom is teaching through the book of 1 Chronicles so it fell to me today, to teach chapter 22. I had only a little bit of time to study and I'm also sick, so my brain didn't feel like getting into gear. But, my Pastor of a husband let me sound him out and helped me come to some focused ideas. I won't teach you the whole lesson, but instead tell you the main point of it. The chronicler reports to us in this chapter, that David wants to build a Temple for God, but God denies him and instead wants David's son, Solomon to build it. (2 Samuel 7 reveals more of what God said to David about this through the prophet Nathan.) So, David, humbly makes preparations for Solomon to build the Temple. Long story, short, the point that I emphasized with the Ladies was that, when God has other plans for you they are always better. David desired to do something good for God, he had good intentions and good motivations, but God told him "no". Instead of doing it anyway, or getting bitter or angry, David humbly goes along with God's plan. God had a bigger plan for David and his family (the Davidic covenant), including Solomon, that was better that David's plan. Sometimes we might have a good plan, but God says "no". We need to realize that God is sovereign and has a bigger plan, that is always better than our plan. How do we respond to that? In Acts 16:6-10, the Apostle Paul was faced with a similar circumstance. He desired to go to Asia to preach the Gospel. This was a good plan, but God said "no". Instead, God wanted him to go to Macedonia to preach the Gospel. Paul humbly obeyed and was able to do a far bigger and better ministry. He was able to start churches in places like Phillipi, Corinth, etc. (By the way, we benefited from this to as we now have the letters, Philippians, Corinthians, etc.) God's way is always better than our way!
In my devotions I've been reading through the Psalms. I was convicted that so often when I read the Bible, I respond to what I've read by thinking about all the areas I've been failing and how I need to do these other things instead. Which is good, there are frequent references to put ons and put offs ( like the Colossians passage I keep talking about), but I was turning it into more of a task oriented thing, than a relationship thing. I realized I need to be reading the Bible, not only for how to live, but also as a way of communicating with my Heavenly Father and as a way of building that relationship with Him. So, I decided to spend some time in the Psalms, to just focus on my God. Today, I read Psalm 18 and I wanted to share a few verses from there that struck me as very comforting today. Verses 30-31, 46, "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God. The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!"
And then from this weeks Valley of Vision prayer: "O fountain of all good, destroy in me every lofty thought, break pride to pieces and scatter it to the winds, annihilate each clinging shred of self-righteousness, implant in me true lowliness of spirit, abase me to self-loathing and self-abhorrence, open in me a fount of penitential tears, break me, then bind me up; thus will my heart be a prepared dwelling for my God; then can the Father take up his abode in me, then can the blessed Jesus come with healing in his touch, then can the Holy Spirit descend in sanctifying grace; o holy Trinity, three Persons and one God, inhabit me, a temple consecrated to thy glory." Vastly different from the self esteem movement of today!

No comments: