Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

I think this might be quite a long post, as I have had several thoughts going about my head especially after the wonderful Flock Group discussion we had this evening. So, bear with me!

I want to, once again, highly recommend the book, Valley of Vision, A Collection of Puritan Prayers. It is extremely thought provoking and insightful. It produces a sense of awe about our great God. It is published by Banner of Truth Trust and is available on Amazon (in case anyone was wondering). The prayer I read today was again wonderful and I want to share it with you, but I think this post will be long enough, so I'll save it for another time.

In my devotions, I read Psalm 15. It is the one that asks the question, "who can dwell in your sanctuary?" etc. I was especially convicted by two of the verses. The first one answers the question "He who casts no slur on his fellow man." This is something that the Holy Spirit convicted me of in Flock Group a few weeks ago and then again today. I have really been working on not gossipping, but this is a little different. It reminds me to not talk about anyone in a way that sheds a negative light on them. It might not be telling someone something that is not true about someone else, but, as I shared a couple of weeks ago, it is asking myself "is this kind? Is is it necessary?" etc. The other verse that grabbed my attention answered the question by saying, "He who keeps his oath, even when it hurts". This was convicting because when things become difficult or even uncomfortable, I give up. I am lacking in the area of perseverance. This is something I really want to work on, but I have to admit, I get discouraged because it feels hopeless. I know the key word there is "feels" because I know with God's power it's not hopeless, but it is a struggle for me. Is it for anyone else?

Ryan made a good statement tonight that struck me, "I am kept saved based on God's sovereignty, not based on my own merit." Praise the Lord!

In Flock Group we had a rabbit trail about prayer. Once again, my wonderful husband shared some wisdom on the subject. We discussed the question that people often have, "If God is sovereign, why should I pray?". He brought out the transverse of that, "If God isn't sovereign, why should I pray?" I never thought about it that way before. God is transcendent and imminent. He is sovereign and yet personal. His choices will always be right. He can see everything (the big picture) and He has ultimate wisdom. But, we can still go to Him and plead with Him and talk with Him in a very personal way. God's sovereignty should lead to greater passion in our prayers. Isn't that incredible to think about?!

Romans 12:2 talks about how the battle is in the mind. So, we need to be renewing our minds daily by being in the Word. My daily devotional book reminded me that I need quiet time with God. We don't have much quiet time in our busy technological world. As I was reading that reminder, my t.v. was on, my computer was on, and someone was text messaging me on my phone! I realized I really need to turn everything off and spend quiet time with the Lord so I can really focus on my relationship with Him and not just go through the motions. I would appreciate if you all would hold me accountable to that and ask me how I'm doing.

We have been trying to train Rylie to immediately obey us. The Holy Spirit brought to my attention that I am expecting that from her, but I am not responding that way to God, my Heavenly Father. In fact, I am rather blase (yes Ryan, blase), about my obedience to Him. I was wondering why that is and I immediately thought it's because I don't have someone right there telling me what to do or admonishing me when I disobey. But then I realized that's an excuse! I have the Holy Spirit to convict me and to empower me to obey. I have God's Word that tells me what God expects and how to obey. And, I have other Christians to encourage me and to hold me accountable! So, really I don't have any excuse! I serve a Holy God and He expects Holiness from me!

I realized that I have not been praying for Rylie like I ought. I pray for her when something is wrong with her (i.e.: sick, etc.), but I haven't been praying for her future salvation, her character, future spouse, etc. What a privilege I have to spend all my time with her, I need to be praying for her, I certainly think about her enough. I do thank the Lord for her. She really is a blessing to us!

I was going to share with you some things I learned from our Colossians study, but I think this post is long enough and my thoughts random enough for one night! If you have time read Col.3:12-17 and we'll discuss it in a later post!

Thank you all for listening to my Thursday thoughts!

No comments: