Sunday, March 18, 2007

Random Thoughts For The Day

Me: Who is good all the time?
Rylie: Jesus! Never Bad! (with a shake of her head)

Rylie: Mommy, Mommy, Mommy! (running to Auntie Pam)
Me: Aren't I your Mommy?
Rylie: No, Auntie Pam Mommy! (Little stinker!)

Me: Who made the trees?
Rylie: Mommy did?
Me: No, not Mommy.
Rylie: Jesus!

Have you ever heard cats mating? It sounds eerily human! Like an Indian chant or something. Very creepy. The house next door to house is vacant at the moment, other than the multitude of neighborhood cats who have made it their abode. And apparently it's a pretty swingin' place. Ryan has discovered that the best way to shut them up is to open the door while the alarm is on. This serves very well to scare the cats away as well as the neighbors and set my adrenaline pumping. As for Rylie, she doesn't even budge!

We had an Australian missionary that is serving in China come speak at our Evening Service tonight. It was so exciting to hear how God is working there (and also in Thailand)! People who have previously never heard the Gospel are getting saved. The government is also becoming not as opposed to the open teaching of God's Word. As long as the Christians aren't speaking out politically, they are being pretty lenient. God is great!

In my devotions today I was struck with the thought that when we sin we need to confess our sin to the Lord (and to the other person, if we sinned against someone else), and then leave it. We don't need to wallow in our guilt and keep rehashing it in our mind. This I knew, but what struck me tonight was that it is a sin to ignore the grace of God and His forgiveness. I hate it when people say, "I know God forgave me, but I have to forgive myself". No, you don't! Are you more powerful than God? Or more important than God? Of course not! If God in His infinite mercy and grace forgives you , then you are forgiven, period! It was a good reminder to me!

I am a person who struggles with the sin of worrying. Becky, Sarah, and I are memorizing Phil. 4:8 ("Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is right, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is excellent or praiseworthy , think about such things."), which is a good reminder of what I need to think about instead of dwelling on whatever it is that I am worrying about. I came across this verse in Deuteronomy (31:8) that I am going to meditate on also whenever I'm worrying, "The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

I love that my husband has such a deep mind and loves to study the truths of God's Word. He also likes to read the writings of other such men. He has given me (and others) the gift of a book called, The Valley of Vision, a Collection of Puritan Prayers. I was reading one of the prayers tonight and I wanted to share with you two thoughts from the prayer entitled, God the All.
"I rejoice to think that all things are at thy disposal, and it delights me to leave them there. Then prayer turns wholly into praise, and all I can do is to adore and bless thee."
"I know that thou art the author and finisher of faith, that the whole work of redemption is thine alone, that every good work or thought found in me is the effect of thy power and grace, that thy sole motive in working in me to will and to do is for thy good pleasure." Isn't that rich?!
Well, enough random thoughts for today! Goodnight!

No comments: