Friday, June 27, 2008

The Post I Never Wanted To Write . . .

June 19th we found out that I was pregnant. We were shocked, as Anna is only three and a half months old, and we thought we were done having children. Our shock quickly turned to joy and excitement. It was an emotional week, complete with morning sickness. We were very excited as we anticipated our doctors appointment and ensuing ultrasound.
June 26th was when we found out that our precious, tiny baby had gone to Heaven. I knew something was wrong when the doctor was very quiet as he did the ultrasound and he didn't take any measurements. He asked a few questions, then told us that I was farther along than we had originally thought. He then said the words that shook me to my core, "I don't see a heartbeat". I was trying to hold it together and be very factual and ask him questions. Inside I was screaming and felt like I was suffocating.
I have cried more in the last two days than I thought was possible. My emotions have been convoluted and confusing. There are times when I am okay and times when I fall apart.
Ryan has been grieving as well, but still manages to be my rock and my support. Rylie wanted to know if Jesus had toys in Heaven for the baby to play with. She also said she was sad because she wanted to see what the baby looked like. Anna has been our constant joy, continually smiling and cheering us.
I am struggling with my emotions, but I have no doubt that this has passed through the loving, sovereign hand of God. Yesterday morning, before we went to the doctor, in my devotions, I was struck with the thought that I don't deserve any good thing in my life, especially my salvation. I deserve much, much worse. It is only by the loving, sovereign grace of God that I have anything. If I keep the perspective of the Cross in the forefront of my mind, I realize that I can only be thankful for everything in my life. I am thankful for the brief time I did get to spend with my tiny baby. I am thankful that God is now taking care of it. I am thankful that someday I will hug and kiss it in Heaven. I am thankful that God is my strength and my refuge. I am thankful for such a loving and gracious God. I am thankful for all three of my children and for such a loving husband. I am thankful for all of my friends and family that have been so supportive and helpful. (Special thanks to Pam for taking Rylie for a fun play day today, and to Becky for bringing us dinner, desert, and coffee!)
Please pray for us as we try to learn how to deal with this loss as our hearts are breaking.

10 comments:

red-headed Wilson's said...

I am so sorry Amy! The song that really helped me through mine was lyrics from Blessed Be Your Name, "You give and take away, You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name"

I knew he was in control and He was still God and still worth praising.

And it does get better. I love you guys!

Keren said...

Amy, I am so sorry. We have been praying for you ever since we found out...please try and take care of yourself and get some rest. If you need anything...dont hesitate. Love you, Keren

Stephanie said...

Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry. As you said, this is all passing through God's hands. And while that doesn't make the pain less real, it does help us with perspective. Huge hugs to you, my friend.

Wendy said...

OH Amy-lou! I love you and am praying for you and Ryan! Ill see you at church in the morning!
I LOVE YOU!
wendy

Angela Miller said...

Amy, I am so sorry! You are in my prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie....always remember this:
Amy-Amy-Amy Lou,
Amy Lou Lou I love YOU.
Mommy loves Amy, Daddy does too,
We both love our Amy Lou!!!!!!

Sorry I can't sing that to you tonight as you go to sleep....but you know how much we have always loved you and you'll always be our baby girl no matter how old you are....and we mourn this WITH you as well.
praying for you,
your mommy forever

Apryl said...

Amy I am so sorry for you and Ryan, but know how you feel, as yesturday is a year since I had my miscarriage. We are both very blessed though was 2 beautiful children. I am really sorry for your loss and it just brings tears to my eyes. Take care, and if you need anything, I am here. I will be praying for healing for you family. It does get better though.

Anonymous said...

I love you Amy, and I'm praying for you. What a joy to know that you have this perfect little gift waiting for you with Jesus! I'm sorry that you are having to go through this pain right now, but I know that you are praising God in the storm. Lots of Hugs! Love, Sara

momaof4 said...

oh my dear friend. I wish I could come and give you a big hug right now. I love you and know this hurts. Gets lots of hugs. Someone to watch the little ones for a bit. Some time away.

I think they have the best nursery and play room in Heaven that we could ever imagine!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful child of God. Know that your tears are God's tears, and he knows each one that falls. If I could I wish I could take them so you wouldn't have to go through this pain. Know you are loved, and if there is ever anything I can do for you-just ask and it will be done.

Abby King
abbyking2001@yahoo.com