Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Forgiveness!

Today was a bad day! I have excuses to why it was so, but they all just add up to the fact that I was sinful! I have been sitting here all evening wallowing in my guilt and depression about it, then I read this section of The Gospel Primer in my devotions. It was exactly what I needed to hear today and so I thought I would share it with you as well.
"As long as I am stricken with the guilt of my sins, I will be captive to them, and will often find myself re-committing the very sins about which I feel most guilty. The Devil is well aware of this fact; he know that if he can keep me tormented by sin's guilt, he can dominate me with sin's power.
The gospel, however, slays sin at this root point and thereby nullifies sin's power over me. The forgiveness of God, made known to me through the gospel, liberates me from sin's power because it liberates me first from its guilt; and preaching such forgiveness to myself is a practical way of putting the gospel into operation as a nullifier of sin's power in my life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie.....sorry you had such a rough day. Sorry I wasn't able to help you today either. It sounds like youv'e been ministered to through your devotions though. (Praise!) It's late, but I'm almost done packing for the night...I probably WON'T have time to vacuum in the morning though before we go.....we'll see.....So if I croak, please go vacuum my house before anyone sees it...okay???? Maybe Ryan could do it! I love you sweetie. I hope Rylie sleeps better tonight....she really had alot of fun yesterday.
...she's such a good girl....if you go by the house, could you give Sadie some fresh water...thanks...see you next week...love mom

Sarah said...

Amy -- I'm here for you, girl! I had a miserable day yesterday too. (see my blog if you don't believe me!) Funny, but I was spared from crashing and burning by my devotions too -- in my case "To be Fit for God" from Valley of Vision. Reminded me of your Dad's sermon on Sunday. Anyhow, one of these days we need to get together for some Starbucks and a combined pity party! Praying for you...

Sarah

PS Al and I are reading TGP at night together. So good!