Monday, September 29, 2008

Interruptions

This past week, I've been feeling like I have been in a hamster wheel. Do you know what I mean? Where you feel like you are just rushing around but not really getting anywhere? I have been complaining that I have so much to do (combination of "real life", getting ready for Women's Retreat, MOPS, catching up from being sick, etc.), and I can't get anything accomplished because I keep getting interrupted. I'm ashamed to say that I was mostly complaining about my children interrupting me! How utterly selfish! The Lord has convicted me greatly! My precious daughters are blessings! I was further convicted/encouraged when I read this C.S. Lewis quote on Girl Talk:
“The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one’s ‘own,’ or ‘real’ life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one’s real life—the life God is sending one day by day; what one calls one’s ‘real life’ is a phantom of one’s own imagination. This at least is what I see at moments of insight: but it’s hard to remember it all the time.” The Quotable Lewis, (Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers, 1989), 335.
Hopefully that will encourage you as it has me!

4 comments:

Angela Miller said...

Amy, Thanks for posting that! It is so hard when we have our own agenda and a to do list. I know that I get so set on crossing things off my list that I often put things (like my children) on the back burner while I accomplish these minor things. I always need a reminder that nothing is more important than my children. God has given them to me and they are my most important job, during this season of life :) Know that you are not alone!!!

Angela Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so excited that I CAN leave you a message even tho I'm not a blogger YET!
Thank you for this wonderful reminder!!! our children are incredible blessings....so thankful that they are here so they CAN "interrupt" us!!

Anonymous said...

Oops! forgot to sign my comment! :) Susan