Monday, March 31, 2008

Anna's Birth Story




Our day started at fiveish with showers and last minute packing. Then we bundled Rylie up in her blanket and put her in the car. She woke up with a big smile and said, "Thanks for getting my Dora blanket, Dad." We looked at each other and said how thankful we were for such a good girl, that was cheerful even when being taken out of her warm bed and put in the car at six in the morning.
We dropped her off with my Dad and headed to the hospital. We checked in and they led us to our room. We were pleasantly surprised to find that it was the same room I had delivered Rylie in almost three years prior. We were left alone to unpack and get settled. Then our nurse, Sandra came in. We were a little taken aback at first by her because she was way more bubbly and enthusiastic than we felt at the time. She turned out to be the best nurse ever! That is her rubbing my back in the picture. She stayed with us the entire time and was very encouraging and gave great back rubs.
Since I was GBS positive, she started me on an IV of Penicillin and at the same time started the Pitosin. My Doctor was supposed to be there soon, so she started me on a high dose of the Pitosin. As the morning wore on, my contractions grew stronger and stronger. Sandra estimated that I would deliver by noon.
During that time, we had several visitors, including our friend, Scott. He had been admitted to the hospital the day before so he came to visit from his room towing his IV.
Sandra got a phone call from my Doctor saying that he had scheduled a C Section at a different hospital for noon and wanted her to turn my Pitosin down to slow my labor down until he got there. Then he called back and said the C section was delayed and he wouldn't be there for several more hours. This was irritating because I was in pain and I wanted it to be over. I was ready to meet my little Anna.
My labor was slowed down quite a bit, but my pain wasn't. My water had broken around eleven, so my contractions were regular and strong. Sandra had me get on the birthing ball for awhile. This really helped relieve some of my back labor pain.
After about ten hours of labor, I was exhausted and in more pain than I was during my entire labor and delivery with Rylie. I hadn't wanted an epidural, but at that point I gave in and asked for one. It felt like it was taking the Anesthesiologist forever to get there. When she did get there, she kept explaining everything in great detail. At that point I wanted her to stop talking and get me out of pain. It was hard to remain perfectly still while she was giving me the epidural, and I was having contractions, but I did it. She actually gave me a block so I could still feel everything below my waist. I'm not sure why she did that, I had wanted the full epidural, but at least I could walk right away afterwards.
Eventually it was time to push. It was much harder and more painful than Rylie's delivery. After what felt like forever, I heard the Doctor say, "She has hair!" While I finished pushing my Doctor kept trying to style Anna's hair. Then she was out! I heard her little cry and they put her on my chest. Her little lower lip was pouting so pathetically. My sweet girl was finally here! She was absolutely beautiful and healthy! She weighed 7.8 and was 20 1/2 inches long. My Mom had her cell phone on speaker so all the friends and family waiting outside could hear the whole delivery. After they cleaned Anna up we were flooded with visitors and love!
We are so happy to have Anna Sophia here and we are very thankful for her!!!

3 comments:

red-headed Wilson's said...

Thankyou Amy. I really really appreciate you telling the story.

Ryan and Stephanie said...

Way to go Aim! You're my hero!
BTW, when we move there, Ryan and I were hoping that you and Ryan would do some discipleship with us. We're plumb wore out right now and need a spiritual jump start.

Apryl said...

What a great story Amy! I just hope my labor with Christian isn't as long as it was with Justus! You did good though!