Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Infidel

I recently finished a book by Joe Musser, entitled, The Infidel. It is a novel based on the life of John Newton. I'm sure you all know, but he was the author of that great hymn, Amazing Grace. I highly recommend this book. I knew some things about John Newton's life prior to his salvation, but I had no idea what a wretch he really was. I was shocked at what a horrible person he was. He was always drunk, he purposely blasphemed God as much as he could, he made it his mission to cause others to loose their faith, he was very promiscuous with white women, he was disrespectful and dishonest. But the part I had the hardest time with was the way he treated slaves. He was a captain (and a sailor before that) on slave ships. He raped countless slave women and girls! Yes, even young girls! He also beat the men and treated all of them deplorably. He cheated on his fiance, etc. . . . If I was God I would never chose a man like that. But, God has infinite grace and mercy! God spared John Newton's life on several occasions because He called him to Himself. God had great things planned for Newton. He loved him despite of all his horrific sins. When Newton penned that God's grace is "amazing" you can see how much he understood this truth.
After Newton humbled himself and surrendered to the Lord, he (through a long process of events) became a preacher and an author. In addition to over 300 hymns he wrote several books and pamphlets. Some were autobiographical, some theological in nature, and some on the abolition of the slave trade. He testified before Parliament and was instrumental in the eventual abolishment of the slave trade in Britian. He led many souls to Christ and spurred others on to greater spiritual growth. All because of God's amazing grace!

1 comment:

Ryan and Stephanie said...

We just bought the sound track to the movie, Amazing Grace, last Thursday, I think I've listened to the song about 20 times since then. That quote by John Newton that your dad preached back in February about being amazed to find himself in heaven just blesses my heart (as they say in the south). Wouldn't it be so cool to see more people as terrible as him saved today? Just think about all that could be done for God's glory!