Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

Last week I shared with you some thoughts I had from Psalm 33. I learned that there were 14 reasons to praise and worship the Lord. This week I have been focusing on the first way: His Word is right and true. What is His Word? The Psalmist (by the way, this Psalm doesn't have a title so we don't know who the author was), didn't have the whole canon of Scripture at this point, but he did have the Law and the Words of God spoken through the prophets. He had God's promises that he saw fulfilled. He had God's wisdom and God's view of Holiness. He had the creation account, etc. Now, for us, 1 Timothy 3:16 tells us that "All Scripture" is inspired by God and that the whole of Scripture is right and true. It is very useful in our lives. If I take God at His Word, that means that I believe that all of His promises will come to fruition, I believe the Gospel, I believe that there is certain conduct required of me, I believe His warnings of future judgement, and I believe what it tells me about God and His character. If I desire to know who God it, I have to turn to His words. Then, I can praise Him!
I looked up this portion of the Psalm in some commentaries so I thought I would share some random thoughts from them:
-God is not prompted by selfishness or greed. He sets the standards of righteousness.
-"All truth, all right, all justice are measured against His norm." Robert L. Alden
-It is dependable, trustworthy and Divine revelation.
-His promises are all wise and good.
-The threatenings deter us from evil.
-His word is right and therefore all deviations from it are wrong and then we're in the right when we obey it.
-It is straightforward in expression and intent, perfect in moral worth, and impeccable in truth.
-Ps. 12:6 tells us that His words are pure, 19:8 say that they are right, rejoicing the heart, and enlightening the eyes.
-His words hold true.
These are pretty good reasons to praise Him!

No comments: