Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

I have been trying to teach Rylie different attributes of God. This week I have been teaching her that God always keeps His promises, He always does what He says He will do. I think this concept is sinking in some because the other day she told me she would do whatever it was that I asked her to do, and then said, "I promise I will". She will also tell you that God always keeps His promises if you ask her. This is a great attribute of God to praise Him for. I was really struck by our Bible study of 2 Chronicles today in how it was so evident that God kept His promises to Israel. In chapter 6 the word "promised" (or a form of it) was used 6 times (NIV)! Time and time again, God kept His promises. He did what He said He would do. Twice in ch. 6 it says that He spoke with His mouth and acted with His hands. I thought that was a good illustration of keeping your promises. If you want more illustrations of how God has kept His promises read the Chronicles, and the history of Israel. He is still keeping His promises to us everyday. There are so many examples I could give, the main one of course, would be that He is keeping His promise that He will save us who believe on Him. I read this passage in Isaiah 40:28-29 that caused great thankfulness in me. I am thankful that He has promised that He will not grow weary and that He will give me strength. That is very powerful and comforting and awe inspiring. Here are those verses: " Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power."
Of course I want to share with you a snippet of my latest Valley of Vision prayer, but I couldn't narrow it down to just one, so here's two snippets for your enjoyment!
"May I be always amongst those who not only hear but know thee, who walk with and rejoice in thee, who take thee at thy word and find life there." This is my desire! I want to know Him, not just hear Him, I want to walk closely with Him and find my joy in Him!
"Help me to be in reality before thee as in appearance I am before men, to be religious before I profess religion, to leave the world before I enter the church, to set my affections on things above, to shun forbidden follies and vanities, to be a dispenser as well as a partaker of grace, to be prepared to bear evil as well as to do good. O God, make me worthy of this calling, that the name of Jesus may be glorified in me and I in Him." Oh to live my life like this!

No comments: