Thursday, July 5, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

Lately, Rylie has been asking me "who bought me this?" about everything. So, I tell her where all of the various things she's referring to have come from. When she asks, "Who bought me this nose?", I get to tell her that God made her nose and everything else. I have the privilege of teaching her about God's creative abilities. His gifts to us.
The next on our list of things to praise God for (from Ps.33) is the fact that He created everything! If you've grown up in a Christian home, this may seem like a no-brainer, "Of course He created everything, I've known that since Sunday School. " But, how often do we think about it, or give Him credit for it, or give Him the praise and glory that He deserves? How many times do we say, "Oh look at the garden I made?" or "I did a good job on my hair today" (OK, I don't say that one very often!), or, "We made such a great child", etc. We so often, without thinking about it, take credit for various aspects of God's creation.
We also take it for granted. We merely glance at the mountain because we see it everyday. We expect there to be sun and grass and trees. We don't stop to thank Him for His creation. We don't pause to praise Him and reflect on what the creation tells us about Him.
So, often we complain about His creation. We complain about our bodies (guilty!), or about the weather, or the birds that are making a nest in our eves. We need to be grateful for all of these things. We need to tell Him that we are grateful. You can't complain about something if, at the same time, you are thanking God for it!
Over and over in Scripture we read how the creation shows us the glory of God. It reflects His power, His beauty, His creativeness, His originality, His love for us. God created this world, He called it "good"! He created us in His very image! (That is another topic for another day, but think about how amazing that fact is!)
This week, join me in taking time to reflect on His creation. Try to discern what it tells us about Him. Give Him thanks, praise and glory for His wonderful works! This is my Father's world!

No comments: