Friday, December 7, 2007

God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

I have just finished reading a fictional account of Abigail, one of King David's wives. It was a fun read, but it also was a good reminder to me of the God we serve. As I have told you all before I am slowly reading through the Psalms to get to know Him better. One thing I have been struck with lately through the reading of the Psalms and this fictional book is that we serve the Ancient of Days! I have really had a sense of the "bigness" of our God! I tend to focus on the here and now and what He is doing in the lives of people around me (which is great!), but I'm also reminded of all of the great acts He has performed throughout history, especially Old Testament history.
Whenever someone was going through a trial they looked back and remembered how God had delivered them and their ancestors time and time again. They preserved those memories because it was proof of God's faithfulness to them, even when they didn't deserve it. I think we tend to look forward to what God is going to accomplish in our lives, through our trials and we look forward to Heaven. This is not a bad thing, it's a great perspective to have, to live in light of eternity. I have also been greatly comforted by the fact that this God who is taking care of my little problems, has already taken care of giant problems in the lives of others. If He is faithful to take care of them, and has done miraculous things in the past, I can have comfort and strength in the present. He has already proven that He is sovereign, that He is faithful, that He loves His people. I can rest in that!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

So true. I love that we can look back to the OT and see that we too serve the same powerful God and are part of His special people who He cares for and cherishes.

momaof4 said...

Thank you for the reminder friend. I do get stuck in the here and now. And sometimes I love to think about how God is working ALL the time. At this moment we may not get it, but looking back we see what he has done and what he has been doing!